As a business owner, you should know what it takes to be successful in the global market. With very dynamic and oversaturated markets, you need to be able to adapt as quickly as possible. To do this, you might need the knowledge and skills of professional marketers to help you with your marketing initiatives.
Here are the top marketing skills to look for when hiring marketers for your brand.
- Creativity – A good marketer is someone who can come up with fresh ideas and approaches. They should be up-to-date on the latest technologies, trends, and platforms. Although there’s nothing wrong with repurposing something that’s worked before, it’s still important to work with creative marketers, so you won’t be stuck with something that has been used before. Creativity is an important skill your marketers should have because more than anything else, they’re tasked to come up with effective marketing strategies to promote your brand.
- Initiative – One of the essential digital marketing skills marketers should have is initiative. While it’s okay to follow what their superiors tell them to do, it’s better if they can work on the tasks on their own. A marketer who shows initiative can determine the issue, come up with a solution, and bring it to the table without waiting for their superior to do so. Having this skill, your marketer won’t find a hard time addressing any problems that might come along the way.
- Curiosity – If you want to get the most out of your marketing campaigns, you should consider hiring marketers who are curious about how things are done. They usually ask how things work for the business. Remember, natural curiosity is something that your marketers should have to succeed and thrive in this rapidly changing business environment. Not only that but curiosity can drive more ideas that can help your marketers come up with new marketing strategies.
- Legal knowledge – Of course, marketers shouldn’t only be knowledgeable about the fundamentals of digital marketing, but also about the privacy laws and other consumer protection laws. Additionally, hire marketers who know the rules and regulations of the platforms you want to use. By doing so, you can rest knowing that all marketing initiatives performed by your marketers are in full compliance with the law.
- Numeracy – The world of digital marketing includes numbers that marketers can understand. For instance, Google Analytics, AdWords, and more are marketing tools they should know how to operate. A good marketer should be able to identify, understand, and manipulate data to measure the marketing results. If your marketers possess this skill, they can easily figure out whether the marketing strategies have paid off successfully.
- Selling skills – Ideally, it’s crucial to get marketers who know how to sell. They should have a better idea of your product than almost anybody in your team. From who your personas are to moving each buyer through the sales funnel, the marketers should be able to understand how it ultimately works. Moreover, they should be able to portray specific roles properly like jumping into a sales call, customer call or even conduct a demo if needed. This means they should possess excellent written and verbal skills that can drive meaningful conversations. Having these skills can help your marketer market your product or services to a wide range of customers.
- Business-growth knowledge – If you want to invest time, money and effort in hiring professional marketers, make sure they have business-growth knowledge. A reliable marketer can apply marketing techniques to grow a business. Thus, find this vital skill on the next batch of marketers you’re going to hire for your company so you can take your business to a whole new level of success.
- Social media savvy – Every marketer should know how to build a brand. That being said, you should have a better insight into how to use social media channels in building your brand. Since you don’t have to be the person who posts to social media, make sure you choose the marketers who are social media savvy. They should have an understanding of the several platforms and your business applicability. When looking for these marketing people, questions like, “do you have social media accounts?”; “who is your audience?”; and “where do they go?” are usually asked to determine their ability to navigate and utilise a wide variety of tech products and platforms. Having them in your company can help you get the most out of social media channels for brand marketing.
- Managing expectations – The marketers you hire should know how to handle expectations. They should be able to meet deadlines and make true to their promises whether to you, your other department and even to your customers. If you have these kinds of people in your team, your marketing tasks will be more streamlined and successful.
Choosing the right people for your business can be hard and hiring marketers with top marketing skills can be even harder. However, you need to have these people by your side for your business to succeed. Take that as one of the reasons why marketing should be at the heart of every company. By keeping this list of skills for your open marketing roles, rest assured you’re in the right direction.