Reading programs are designed to teach children the core literacy skills needed to be successful at school with a progressive sequence of interactive and motivational lessons. Nothing like a solid foundation of literacy skills can influence your child’s life. Before being able to start building that foundation of literacy skills, however, your kid needs to feel comfortable doing it. Here’s how a reading program can help…
Focus on core literacy skills
A reading program should focus on developing the basic, core literacy skills all children need to be successful at school. Let’s have a closer look at those core skills:
- Phonics (the alphabetic principle) — This is the ability to be able to connect sounds to letters.
- Phonemic awareness — This is often mistaken for the alphabetic principle. It is the ability to identify and be able to manipulate individual sounds in words.
- Fluency —Being fluent in a language means to be able to read automatically and accurately. This includes proper tone and accounting for punctuation.
- Vocabulary — Regular reading helps to build a bank of words that one can automatically recognize and use in everyday speech.
- Comprehension — This is the skill of reading for meaning and being able to make inferences from given text.
Being an adult fluent in English, you probably don’t think about those skills, but every single one deserves proper attention, and there are certain ways of working to improve them. If you are looking for a Reading Program Frisco TX is a great one great place you can find it. What is it like to be part of such a program, you may ask? Keep reading for more information.
For a kid, the most important thing is to have fun. And this is what reading programs should be.
The easiest way to engage children in something is by making it fun for them. Once the kid feels comfortable and able to enjoy the lessons, positive results are guaranteed. In the reading program Frisco TX, folks make the activity highly engaging and make the kids stay keen on learning with vibrant visuals, colorful characters, and catchy music to sing along.
Tracking progress is also important.
To know if you are making progress, you should track it. Well, when it comes to children, it’s best to show a progress dashboard to the parents. This way, the teachers and the parents will know what level the child is at, and if he/she needs to work on a certain area. A detailed dashboard should include the number of lessons completed, rewards earned, the percentage of correct answers, the learning milestones the kid has achieved, and an estimated reading age of the child.
Many kids today are facing a developing reading enthusiasm issue. This can simply lead to future problems in school. This is why summer reading programs are available to kids that need to improve their skills while the regular school classes are out.
Without a doubt, enrolling your child in a reading program will help develop his/her ability to comprehend and have a better time at school. This will also boost your kid’s confidence.