St Lucia is a paradise island in the Caribbean well-known for its exotic cuisine, picturesque landscapes, and a well-developed tourist industry. No wonder St Lucia is the most popular honeymoon destination in the Caribbean. The small island state offers an opportunity to obtain its citizenship by investment.
Main advantages of acquiring St Lucian citizenship by investment
The passport of St Lucia gives visa-free access to a large number of countries. You don’t have to be a journalist or a sportsperson to freely travel around the world if you have a St Lucian passport. The main advantages of acquiring citizenship of St Lucia include the following ones:
- No taxes are charged in St Lucia on your income made in other countries;
- You can keep your home country’s passport when becoming a citizen of St Lucia;
- The applications for citizenship are processed fast (within three months or so);
- You dependent children under the age of 25 can be added to a family application for St Lucian citizenship;
- People with special needs have access to special opportunities when applying for citizenship of St Lucia;
- You can collect your passport in about 30 days after your application has been approved.
You are not going to lose your St Lucian passport if you stay away from the country. You don’t have to visit St Lucia ever! We suggest, however, that you do because the country is truly fascinating. Please follow the link if you would like to request professional assistance in applying for citizenship of St Lucia by investment.
Four options for foreign investors
Compared to other Caribbean countries granting citizenship to foreign investors, St Lucia offers the largest number of investment options. You can choose one of the following financial routes to St Lucian citizenship:
- Invest in a piece of real estate in St Lucia.
- The minimum required investment amount is US$ 200,000. You can buy the entire piece of property or only part of it. Please note that the development project needs to be approved by the St Lucian authorities for participating in the citizenship-by-investment program. Please also note that you cannot sell your property back before the required possession period of 5 years expires. Foreign investors purchasing property in St Lucia have to incur some additional costs.
- Donate to the national fund.
- US$ 100,000 for a single applicant;
- Additional US$ 25,000 for a dependent family member;
- US$ 140,000 for a married couple;
- US$ 150,000 for a married couple with 1 or 2 children.
- Purchase Government bonds.
- Invest US$ 300,000 into Government bonds and acquire citizenship for all your family members in one go. Please note, however, that an additional payment of US$ 50,000 is due.
- Invest in a business venture in St Lucia.
- If two people make a joint investment of 6 million dollars, both of them (and their families) will qualify for citizenship of St Lucia. At least 6 jobs need to be created, however.
- Invest 3.5 million US dollars in a Government-approved business project to qualify for citizenship of St Lucia. The projects come in many types: pharmacies, research centers, hotels, roads, educational institutions, piers, and so on. Three new jobs have to be created.
Due diligence procedures
Only a foreign investor with a spotless reputation can become a citizen of St Lucia. If you have a criminal past, if you have been accused of money laundering, or if you are unable to prove the legality of your investment capital, you cannot ‘buy’ citizenship of St Lucia.
All the applicants are checked thoroughly by national and international law-enforcement and fiscal agencies. What is more, you will have to cover the cost of the due diligence procedures if you apply for citizenship of St Lucia. The total cost will depend on the number of adult family members (all of them are going to be checked) but the due diligence procedures will cost you several thousand dollars in any case.
‘Purchase’ citizenship of St Lucia and relocate to the island
St Lucia offers an exclusive opportunity: you can invest in Government bonds. (We refer to this opportunity as ‘exclusive’ because no other Caribbean country currently makes such an offer to foreign investors). You won’t gain any profit when buying the bonds but the return of your investment after some time is guaranteed by the Government of St Lucia.
St Lucia is a civilized Caribbean country. The living standards are the level of comfort there are quite comparable to those in America and Western Europe. The climate, however, is much, much better!
FAQ about citizenship of St Lucia by investment
Below we answer some frequently asked questions pertaining to the process of acquiring St Lucian citizenship by investment.
Does a holder of a St Lucian passport have any preferences when applying for a visa to the USA?
Citizens of St Lucia can obtain long-term visas to the USA and Canada. The visas are valid for 10 years.
Do I have to visit St Lucia to collect my passport?
No, you do not. However, you will have to pay a visit to the consulate of St Lucia nearest to you. In accordance with the updated requirements, all candidates for citizenship of St Lucia by investment have to have personal interviews and they also have to make personal visits to the consulate to collect their passports.
What spheres are especially attractive for investments in St Lucia?
St Lucia offers a wide range of investment options. Probably the most promising ones are road, bridge, and seaport construction, agriculture (agricultural products processing), the entertainment industry, and scientific research.
Do I have to permanently live in St Lucia to keep citizenship of the country?
No, you do not. You can live in another country for as long as you wish. However, if you visit St Lucia you may find that living there is very comfortable. Having a St Lucian passport will legalize your prolonged stay in the country and in the Caribbean region as a whole.
Are the authorities of St Lucia going to inform my home country’s authorities about my acquiring second citizenship?
No, they are not. The information about your second citizenship will remain confidential. At the same time, you have to find out if your home country’s legislation obliges you to inform the authorities about your second citizenship or not.
Would I have to renounce my present citizenship when obtaining citizenship of St Lucia?
St Lucia has nothing against its people holding several passports. However, you have to find out if your home country allows dual citizenship. If not, you might have to choose what passport to keep. If you have other questions about citizenship of St Lucia by investment, please do not hesitate to follow the link that you can find at the beginning of the text.
An author of Namaste UI, published several articles focused on blogging, business, web design & development, e-commerce, finance, health, lifestyle, marketing, social media, SEO, travel.
For any types of queries, contact us on info[at]namasteui.com.