In the race to retain existing and attract new customers, organizations must deliver exceptional customer experiences, scrutinize costs, and release reliable products faster to achieve continuous growth. As a result, more companies have embraced digital transformation as a strategy to ensure consistent success. At the heart of every transformation initiative is data. Businesses rely heavily on insights from data to make mission-critical decisions. Therefore, promoting a culture of observability is crucial, as it helps businesses discover meaningful insights from data.
It is safe to say organizations can’t transform without observability. So, they require real-time observability and insights into all their digital platforms that drive success. But how and why do you need to build an observability-driven culture? And how can ServiceNow help you develop a culture of observability? Let’s find out.
How Do You Build a Culture of Observability?
Developing a culture of observability may start with having several enthusiastic team members promoting the practice and enrolling other stakeholders to embrace it. Demos and proofs of concept are crucial in this stage. They help key organizational and technical leaders understand the importance of strong observability. This enables you to obtain stakeholder buy-in and sponsorship.
Promoting an observability-driven culture can start anywhere. For instance, when an executive asks the engineering or product team, “What would happen if we missed that?” it can trigger an observability task to determine the impact of services involved and how to address issues related to that service.
Alternatively, if a customer contacts your support team with an issue, the customer support team should lead the observability exercise. Also, it can start with inviting people to a conversation and developing modes of accountability via health targets, like service-level objectives. Improving quality and minimizing incidents should be continuously incentivized and encouraged. This will promote consistent observability across all organization functions.
Why Promote a Culture of Observability?
Fostering an observability-driven culture can have significant benefits to your business, including the following:
- Proactive problem detection. Observability-driven culture provides a 360° view of all your organization’s functions. This helps you detect issues in real-time, triggering proactive mitigation.
- Increased operational efficiency. Developing a culture of observability allows you to continuously identify areas of improvement. This helps ensure that all your operations function optimally, reducing resource wastage.
- Improved customer experience (CX). An observability-driven culture enables you to optimize your product experiences by collecting and acting upon user feedback.
- Enhanced business growth.Building a culture of observability enables you to identify business opportunities as they emerge. This promotes your overall revenue growth by giving you a competitive edge.
- Reduced employee turnover/burnout. Employee turnover/burnout is often costly and hinders your productivity. A culture of observability enables you to identify potential causes of employee turnover or burnout. This helps you implement measures to address this problem.
- Improved time-to-market. Building an observability-driven culture helps you redirect resources to innovation. This helps you discover new approaches to deliver products faster.
- Improved mean time to repair (MTTR). Observability promotes real-time detection of issues. This helps minimize the average time to repair or troubleshoot faulty systems and equipment.
Observability-Driven Culture as a Journey
Observability is not a one-off practice. Instead, it is a journey that requires continuous improvement. As technology advances, new observability measures are born. So, you must continually invest in observability initiatives for consistent visibility into your organization’s functions.
This journey starts by finding and implementing critical services or workflows, then monitoring them over a specific period to determine health targets. From there, you can set the alert thresholds.
The main aim is to attain a balanced number of accurate alerts with robust health targets. So, don’t overwhelm your support or product teams with “alert noise.”Take time to observe your thresholds. This will help you fine-tune them to achieve accurate alerts.
7Strategies to Promote a Culture of Observability with ServiceNow
Here are some measures to consider to foster an observability-driven culture with ServiceNow:
1. Define Clear Objectives
Start by setting clear objectives for your observability initiative. Determine what insights and metrics are most crucial for your business’s success. This will help you align them with your company’s goals.
Also, select the key performance indicators (KPIs) that will help you monitor the health of your applications and IT services. These KPIs may include error rates, response times, and uptime, to mention a few.
2. Implement Monitoring Tools
Integrate monitoring tools with ServiceNow to gather data from different applications and systems. ServiceNow provides capabilities to easily integrate with external systems. Also, it has native monitoring features that you can use to monitor various health and performance targets.
3. Create Dashboards and Reports
ServiceNow offers robust dashboard and reporting capabilities. This enables you to visualize the collected data in a meaningful manner. Leverage these dashboards to gain real-time insights into your organization’s performance. This will help your teams respond quickly to issues as they emerge.
4. Implement Incident Management
Observability helps you detect incidents as soon as they arise. So, integrating incident management into your observability journey is crucial. ServiceNow provides incident management tools that automatically initiate workflows and create tickets to address and resolve issues promptly.
5. Encourage Collaboration
It is impossible to achieve all-round observability without collaboration. Utilize ServiceNow’s capabilities to promote collaboration between teams within your organization. This will foster a shared responsibility for the reliability and performance of systems.
6. Automate Remediation
Observability and timely remediation of issues go hand in hand. However, depending on human intervention to resolve even a modest problem is ineffective. And that’s where ServiceNow’s automation capabilities come in.
Use ServiceNow automation capabilities to proactively detect and address potential issues. Automated remediation helps prevent problems from escalating, minimizing downtime.
7. Continuous Improvement and Learning
As initially stated, observability is a continuous journey. So, it’s crucial to continuously improve and review your observability practices. This will promote a learning culture where teams learn from incidents and share knowledge, enhancing observability strategies.
The Role of Sage IT as a ServiceNow Consultant
Sage IT is one of the leading ServiceNow Consultants. It provides several ServiceNow consulting services, such as:
- Redesigning Customer Experience. Sage IT leverages ServiceNow to help businesses reimagine customer engagement through proactive service at all touchpoints. This enables organizations to deliver digital-first customer service.
- Cloud Adoption. Sage IT, leveraging the ServiceNow platform, helps companies implement modern technologies to harness the advantages of the cloud. This drives innovation and improves the organizations’ capabilities.
- Digital Transformation. Sage IT, through ServiceNow, helps businesses revamp their IT infrastructure, driving digital transparency and optimizing performance.
- Workforce Management. Sage IT enables businesses to build modern, sustainable work experiences with seamless digital enterprise services and flexible service models through ServiceNow.
- Security Operation Transformations. Sage IT, through ServiceNow, promotes observability, enabling faster response to incidents, enterprise risks, and security threats.
The collaboration between organizations and Sage IT, leveraging ServiceNow, has had substantial benefits. Business representatives have reported increased work efficiency, faster detection of issues, automation, and cost/time saving as some of the main benefits. This proves Sage IT’s indispensable experience and value in delivering ServiceNow consulting services.
Promoting a culture of observability is crucial to achieving success in the modern era. It helps you gain insights into the health, behavior, and performance of applications and systems, enabling you to make data-informed decisions that drive company success. When implemented, observability enables teams to proactively detect issues, deliver exceptional CX, and optimize processes. ServiceNow is a robust platform that can help you promote a culture of observability, enhancing operational efficiency and making your teams and tech estate more resilient.
An author of Namaste UI, published several articles focused on blogging, business, web design & development, e-commerce, finance, health, lifestyle, marketing, social media, SEO, travel.
For any types of queries, contact us on info[at]namasteui.com.