As an Indian citizen you may be well aware of the importance of having an Aadhar card. Ever since the introduction of the Aadhar card in the Indian legal system, no official paper work or bank work can be completed without it. Every Indian citizen has to compulsorily have an Aadhar card. The Aadhar card is an identification card that is given to every Indian citizen. Each card has its very own unique 12 digit code and proves to be proof of identity for the card holder. The Aadhar card also serves as address proof for the citizen. The concept of the Aadhar card is very similar to the concept of the social security number in the United States.
Benefits Of Having An Aadhar Card
Having an Aadhar card has countless benefits. Besides the fact that this card can be used as identity proof, it has numerous other benefits too. Let’s now discuss some of the benefits of having an Aadhar card:
- Aadhar card and LPG Subsidy – Having an Aadhar card enables you to get your LPG subsidy transferred directly into your bank account. Once you have received your Aadhar card, all you need to do is visit your local LPG distributor and have the Aadhar card number linked directly to your LPG consumer number. Once these two numbers are linked, the LPG subsidy will be transferred directly to your bank account.
- Single Document Bank Opening Facility – Another reason why the possession of an Aadhar card can be extremely beneficial is because this single identification document is enough to open up a PradhanMantri Jan Dan Yojana bank account. Additional benefits are also provided on the opening of this account through Aadhar verification. These additional benefits include a zero balance saving account, a RuPay card, accident insurance, life insurance and other such benefits.
- Passport Benefits – Unlike the old, lengthy and tedious process for passport application, thanks to the Aadhar card you can receive your passport within 10 days. The initial police verification that was typically required for the passport process, can now be done at a later date after the receipt of passport. Further, as per law, one cannot obtain a new passport without Aadhar card.
- Income Tax Return And PAN Card Linking – Linking the pan card to the Aadhar card is one beneficial step taken by the government to curb black money in the country.
- Aadhar Card And SEBI – The Securities Exchange Board Of India now accepts the Aadhar card as a single valid identity proof and document for trading and investing in stocks and equity.
- Voter Card And Aadhar Linking – In a step to eliminate bogus voters from voting during elections and also to prevent a single citizen from having multiple voter identity cards, the linkage of Aadhar card with the voter’s card has been called by the government.
- Digital Locker – The government of India has developed a digital locker for citizens. In this digital locker, a citizen can upload all his personal and important documents on a government server. In order to have access to his digital locker, one will require the 12 code unique identification number of the Aadhar card.
Applying For Your Aadhar Card
If you haven’t already applied for and received your Aadhar card, it is about time that you did. Dependency on Aadhar card linkage to basic needs and necessities is increasing substantially. The application process for Aadhar card is simple. You will require the following documents to get a copy of the aadhar card:
- Documents that provide address proof. These could include your electricity bill, bank statements, driving licence, passport copy or phone bill.
- Identity proof like passport or PAN card.
Once you have gathered photocopies of these documents, you can submit the same to the Aadharcentre that is closest to your locality. Once your documents are submitted, they will undergo the verification process. Upon completion of the verification process, you Aadhar card with the unique 12 digit code will be issued.
What Makes The Aadhar Card Unique?
If you’re wondering what it is about the Aadhar card that makes it so unique, here are a few features:
- Identity fraud and misuse can be prevented courtesy the Aadhar card.
- Every Aadhar card has biometric information such as fingerprints and retina scans.
- Every individual will have his own unique card and 12 digit code.
Aadhar Card Validity
Unlike your driving licence, passport and other such documents, the validity of the Aadhar card is for life. This identity document doesn’t require time to time renewal like your passport or driving licence. Further, this identity card is absolutely free of cost and can also be updated at any given point of time incase of changes in the personal details of the cardholder. The Aadhar card is available for every Indian citizen including children, adults, senior citizens and infants.
How To Apply For Duplicate Aadhar Card
If you have lost your Aadhar card and you need to apply for a duplicate one, you can do so with these few easy steps:
- The first step towards application for duplicate Aadhar card is contacting the Unique Identification Authority Of India (UIDAI). You can call them up on their toll free number and inform them that you have misplaced your Aadhar card. UIDAI will instantly send your enrolment number to your registered email address or mobile phone.
- Once you have received the enrolment number, you will have to visit the E-Aadhar web portal and fill in your enrolment number along with a few basic details like your name, pin code and address. Once these details are all logged in, a onetime password will be generated through the website and you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number as a text message. This OTP will have to be input on the E-Aadhar portal immediately. Once the OTP is validated on this portal, you will receive an e-copy of your duplicate Aadhar card in PDF format on your registered email address.
An author of Namaste UI, published several articles focused on blogging, business, web design & development, e-commerce, finance, health, lifestyle, marketing, social media, SEO, travel.
For any types of queries, contact us on info[at]namasteui.com.