Hiring a community manager for your Non-Fungible Token (NFT) project in the decentralized web3 space is a crucial step towards building a thriving and engaged community. Why? It’s this person or group of people that can share your vision at scale, and recruit new users to your platform that can ultimately make or break your project.
Web3 is All About Community
With the rise of NFTs and the decentralized web3 ecosystem, having a dedicated community manager has become increasingly important for NFT projects to succeed. This person is typically responsible for greeting new users in a Discord, Telegram, or WhatsApp group, and also hosting Twitter Spaces.
In this article, we will explore the role of a web3 community manager, what qualities to look for, and how to go about hiring the right person for the job.
What is a Web3 Community Manager?
A web3 community manager is a person who is responsible for building, managing, and engaging a community of stakeholders in a decentralized web3 project. This includes NFT projects, decentralized finance (DeFi) projects, and blockchain-based applications. The role of a community manager is to ensure that the community is informed about the project, engaged with its goals and vision, and actively involved. This could be anything from assisting in the NFT minting process, to creating instructional YouTube videos, and also creating strategic partnerships with other projects.
The main responsibilities of a web3 community manager include:
- Building and Growing the Community: The community manager is responsible for attracting new members to the community and keeping existing members engaged and interested.
- Communication: The community manager is responsible for communicating updates, news, and important information about the project to the community.
- Community Engagement: The community manager is responsible for encouraging community members to participate in discussions, ask questions, and provide feedback.
- Moderation: The community manager is responsible for ensuring that the community is a safe and positive environment for all members, and for moderating discussions and resolving conflicts.
- Event Planning and Management: The community manager may also be responsible for organizing and managing events, such as Twitter Spaces, online meetups via Zoom/Google Meets, or attending virtual/IRL conferences, to bring the community together and foster a sense of community. Examples include Bored Ape Yacht Club chapters around the world, and ETH global events.
Top 10 Tips When Hiring a Community Manager for your Blockchain Project
- Find someone with a Passion for Decentralization & Web3: A web3 community manager should have a deep understanding of the decentralized web3 space and a passion for its potential. They should be knowledgeable about NFTs, DeFi, blockchain technology, and the decentralized web3 ecosystem.
- Find someone with strong Communication Skills, both written and verbal: A web3 community manager should have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. They should be able to communicate complex ideas in a clear and concise manner, and should be comfortable interacting with community members in a friendly and approachable manner.
- Find someone with Community Building Experience: The ideal web3 community manager will have experience building and managing communities in the decentralized web3 space, or in related areas such as blockchain or cryptocurrency. They should have a good understanding of the challenges and opportunities associated with building and engaging a web3 community.
- Find someone with Project Management Skills: The community manager will be responsible for coordinating various activities related to the project, including events, communications, and community engagement. They should have strong project management skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks, manage time effectively, and work well under pressure.
- Find someone with Problem-Solving Skills: Scams, hacks, and disruptive people in the community always happens. The community manager will be responsible for resolving conflicts and managing challenging situations within the community. They should have strong problem-solving skills, and the ability to think critically and creatively to find solutions.
- Empathy and Understanding: A web3 community manager should have empathy and understanding for community members, and the ability to listen and respond to their needs and concerns. There’s a saying – everything that can go wrong, will.
- Marketing and Promotions Skills: The community manager will be responsible for promoting the project and building awareness among potential members. They should have experience in marketing and promotions, such as street teams.
- Technology Savvy: The community manager should know how to leverage everything from Restream and automated tweet schedulers, to basic Discord Bot integrations and email marketing software
- Content Creator: The community manager should know what’s trending and popular on social media platforms.
- Hire Multiple People/Agencies: The community manager should be competitive but also cooperative. It’s advisable to start off with multiple potential candidates, and then figure out who would be the best fit for a 90 day trial period. This way you don’t lose time.
Steps to Hiring Community Managers & Brand Ambassadors
Building an online community for Web3 also includes recruiting brand ambassadors that can be valuable assets for your business. Referral marketing and contests have traditionally been one of the top performing channels for exchanges and large crypto platforms. These brand ambassadors can help spread the word about your products and services, and serve as a source of valuable feedback and insights. In this article, we will explore the steps involved in building an online community of brand ambassadors for your Web3 project or online business.
Step 1: Identify Your Target Audience in Web3
The first step in building an online community of brand ambassadors is to identify your target audience. Who are the people that are most likely to be interested in your products or services? What are their interests, hobbies, and values? Understanding your target audience is essential to building an effective community of brand ambassadors.
Step 2: Choose the Right Web3 Platform
Once you have identified your target audience, you need to choose the right platform for your online community. There are many different options to choose from, including social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, as well as forums and discussion boards. Choose a platform that is popular with your target audience and that offers the features and tools that you need to effectively engage with your community.
Step 3: Create a Clear Purpose and Vision backed by Code
Your online community of brand ambassadors should have a clear purpose and vision. What is the goal of your community? What do you hope to achieve? What are the core values that you want to embody? Having a clear purpose and vision will help you attract the right people to your community and keep them engaged. Strategic partnerships is typically one of the best ways to grow in Web3.
Step 4: Engage with Your Community via Twitter & Discord
Once your online community of brand ambassadors is up and running, it is important to engage with your members. This means responding to their questions and comments, sharing news and updates about your business, and organizing events and activities that bring the community together.
Step 5: Reward and Recognize Your Brand Ambassadors
Your brand ambassadors are an important asset to your business, and it is important to reward and recognize their contributions. This could include special perks, discounts, and exclusive access to new products and services. By showing your appreciation for your brand ambassadors, you can keep them motivated and engaged in your community. Host contests for NFT and Crypto giveaways.
Step 6: Measure Your Results of Web3 Campaigns
Finally, it is important to measure your results and track the success of your online community of brand ambassadors. This could include tracking the number of new members, the level of engagement and participation, and the impact that your community has on your business. There are several tools and bots for Discord and Telegram to measure success.
Building an online community of brand ambassadors can be a valuable investment for any business. By following these steps, you can create a thriving and engaged community of people who are passionate about your brand and who are dedicated to helping you achieve your goals. If you’re looking to talk to an expert group and experienced Web3 Community Managers, contact us at Crowdcreate.
Jeffrey Maganis is the co-founder of Crowdcreate, one of the leading blockchain marketing agencies that specialize in Web3, Crypto & NFTs. Few growth marketing firms have been in the blockchain industry since 2017. Crowdcreate has been a global pioneer in launching and scaling some of the most successful projects in blockchain technology. Crowdcreate also runs one of the largest networks of crypto founders, angel & VC investors, influencers, and creators.