For a smooth and hassle free move, it’s a must to hire a professional moving service. You could have moved numerous times locally but still you may be surprised to learn the complications associated with moving cross country. Due to all the complications and difficulties that may persist it is suggested to leave this task to cross country movers who have the proper expertise and resources. In a local move, we can still consider having a Do-It-yourself move but a cross country move is definitely not a DIY endeavour.
Internet is one of the most used way to search out potential service providers. Thousands of moving companies’ websites are available online. If you too are searching for the best cross country moving company online then don’t forget to narrow your search only to legitimate long distance moving specialists. First of all look for some personal recommendation from someone you trust and you can simply ask family, friends and/or co-workers if they have had a positive long distance moving experience with a mover in your area. You can also take reference of a good moving company from a reliable realtor or you can check over here.
There are some frauds happening around as even with so many smooth moves, scams or shoddy practices do occur. So it’s in your interest to be informed about every step in the moving process as there are a lot of rogue movers out there with attractive web sites and they do not have the resources to actually provide the service they are offering. Never opt for a mover that does not show a physical address for the company on its website that you can verify. These moving companies actually don’t have their own trucks, personnel and warehouse and they outsource the work which means you are unnecessarily paying extra to an agent.
As choosing the right cross country movers is essential for a successful long-distance relocation try getting the following information before hiring and interviewing a potential cross-country mover:
- Ask for a trained moving consultant to visit your home to view the contents to be moved in order to provide an accurate cost estimate and if they don’t provide this facility then beware as this could be a sign of a rogue mover.
- Ask for a detailed estimate that provides a breakdown of costs including estimated weight of shipment, transportation cost per hundred pounds, fuel surcharges, cargo protection premium, packing/unpacking cost, and taxes.
- Be sure to get a cost guarantee in writing and spell out any parameters.
- Ask for an estimated time that the movers will take to deliver your possessions.
- Prefer getting a guaranteed delivery time frame in writing from the hired movers and also confirm if there is any compensation for the late delivery of goods.
- Confirm if they provide the option of purchasing “full replacement coverage” for any lost or damaged items or not.Also ask them about a transit protection certificate or a written list of any exemptions to the coverage.
- You will be having a better service if your hired company has an office or affiliated agent in your destination city as you may get any services needed or assistance while you are settling in.
- Ask your service provider about the steps that you must take to file a claim in case of any loss or damage to any of your belongings.
- Have an idea about the average length of time to settle a claim.
- Note down the contact details of the concerned person and normal business hours of the company to contact in case of emergency during the move.
Even after confirming all the above said points, consider the following instructions too:
A Thorough Walk-Through is Needed
If an estimator is not taking a proper walk through your house and is not noting the items to be taken along then beware as a good estimator will ask questions about what you plan to take from your current house and will quote accordingly. Be sure to provide the estimator a list of items you want to take along and make a list of things that you don’t want on the truck and you want to give away, donate to a charity, sell in a yard sale, or leave behind for the new owners.
No Large Deposits Should be Paid
If your mover is asking for large deposits before then it’s a heads up condition as reputable movers don’t demand cash or large deposits before moving. Payment should be done only upon delivery. In fact consider using a credit card to pay to help protect yourself from a possible fraudulent activity.
Research About the Company You are Hiring
Make sure that the company has a local address and information about licensing and insurance. Their employees should answer the phone with the full name of the business. Read online ratings of the company. Read the reviews of the previous customers. This will ensure a better moving experience.
An author of Namaste UI, published several articles focused on blogging, business, web design & development, e-commerce, finance, health, lifestyle, marketing, social media, SEO, travel.
For any types of queries, you can contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.