Our daily lives are dominated by various social media handles such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram. Important political leaders such as the U.S. President use Twitter to interact with their citizens. Students use LinkedIn to search for jobs or connect with prospective employers. Travel and food bloggers use Instagram to post photos from their latest trips or restaurant visits.
In the digital age, social media marketing is the best way to reach potential customers. The profession requires creativity, patience, persistence and the knowledge of trending news and ideas.
If you want an exciting and challenging job, you can explore a career in social media marketing. Read on to find out more about this branch of digital marketing, its benefits and the future scope.
What is social media marketing?
Social media marketing is one of the most important branches of digital marketing. It refers to all the approaches for gaining website traffic through posting on various social media websites. It also involves creating backlinks to the organisation’s website on these media handles and interacting with the consumers or potential customers personally.
Why is social media marketing important for businesses?
Social media marketing brings a lot to the table when it comes to increasing sales for businesses or generating more customers. Here are the benefits of social media marketing for any organisation.
- Increased brand awareness: Social media is the best way to popularise your brand among people. Developing a good social media strategy can increase your brand awareness as you engage with a broader range of audience online than physically possible. Simply interacting with the visitors on your media pages can build your reputation as a business.
- More website traffic: The social media profiles of your business act as gateways to the business website. Increasing followers or visitors to the social profiles can lead to better website traffic as compared to organic traffic.
- Improvement in SEO: While social media doesn’t contribute to SEO rankings directly, it increases your visibility which has been shown to improve SEO rankings over a period of time. Good quality content on the social media handles attracts influencers who may mention your business in their websites. This can have a direct impact on your rankings.
- Higher lead conversion: Social media handles provide businesses a humanisation factor that helps potential customers relate to them better. In addition, better engagement with them can convert them into actual customers. There are studies to prove that lead-to-close rate of social media marketing is better than conventional marketing approaches
- Improved customer ratings: Social media accounts of businesses offer customers and leads a platform for them to voice their concerns and opinions. Personal engagement with the customers also improves brand loyalty.
What is the career scope of social media marketing?
Social media marketing job give you the opportunity to create something new every day and interact with customers on a more personal basis. It is a highly engaging and interesting profession that can satisfy your need for creative indulgence.
Here are a few interesting positions that you can look forward to in this field.
- Advertising manager
- Social media analyst
- Content writer
- Social media manager
- Twitter analyst
- Instagram specialist
- Facebook specialist
- Pinterest consultant
If you are serious about a career in this sector, you can consider pursuing a course in digital marketing or social media marketing to improve your basics. Studying masters in social media can update you in the latest trends of social media as well as teach you tricks and hacks of engaging with consumers better. There are several good institutes that offer short or online courses in social media marketing. Choose a course that offers you an opportunity for practical experience.