A marketer or business owner’s wish list would probably have ‘more customers’ on the top, followed by ‘more traffic’ to their website. However, the problem is – not many know the techniques to drive traffic to their website. In this post, let’s look at 9 techniques to boost site traffic.
How to drive traffic to your website
1. Create quality content
Content is king. The better your content is, the more engaged will be your visitors. They’ll not only keep coming back for more but will also promote your site by sharing your content.
One of the best ways to attract the right people to your website is by creating content through blogging.
Follow these steps to write a good blog post that will attract the right audience:
- Identify your buyer persona: Find out who is your audience, what they do and what are their pain points.
- Conduct SEO research: Find out what your audience is looking for online so that you can provide the right answers.
- Start writing a draft that answers your audience’s queries.
- Use content generation tool to write optimised content.
- Publish the blog on the website.
2. Promote your content on social platforms
It’s not enough to produce great content; you need to be proactive and promote it on social media channels to generate traffic. The more the traffic, the higher it will rank in search engines.
Some of the platforms you can use are:
3. Get Links
Links to your website will give your business more visibility across the web and also drive qualified traffic to your website.Some ways to get build links are:
Guest blogging: Writing guest posts can generate traffic to your site. While guest posting links to your website, it also shows that you are active in your community, thus generating more backlinks.
Get listed in free online directories: On most of these directories, your profile will carry a link to your website. Updating these listings regularly and getting positive reviews can generate more website traffic.
4. Start email marketing
Sending out newsletters and offers through emails is a great way to engage with your customers. It also helps get traffic to your website. However, it is important that you provide useful information and links to relevant website pages. Also, put careful thought in the email subject line.
5. Fix on-page and technical issues and improve internal linking
You can perform various SEO tactics on each of your website pages to get more traffic and increase their rank in search engines. These include:
- Producing high-quality content
- Writing concise meta descriptions for your pages
- Creating an internal linking structure using the cluster/pillar model
- Focusing on the backend of your website, including factors such as page speed, crawling, indexing, and more.
- Fixing broken links and redirects
- Creating an XML sitemap for your subdomains
- Setting up language meta tags
- Adding custom h1 and introductions to topic pages
6. Use SEO Tools
Using SEO tools such as Google Analytics, Ahrefs, and SEMrush will help you learn and analyse what’s working and what isn’t on your website. It will help you in developing content ideas and strategy that has the potential to generate high traffic.
7. Optimise your website for voice, video and image search
Voice, video and image are getting increasingly important for a website to rank. That’s why optimising them is essential.
Here are a few tips to get started:
For voice search optimisation:
- Research long-tail keywords
- Write answer-focused content
- Optimise for snippets
For video optimisation:
- Add title and description
- Choose an attractive video thumbnail
- Transcribe the video
- Add a call to action
- Add an end screen
For image optimisation:
- Use relevant, high-quality images
- Place the image in the right location of the page
- Add alt tags to the image
- Generate descriptive and logical URLs and image filename
- Optimise images for fast loading
- Submit an image site map
8. Build community
Another great way to drive traffic to your site is to build a community on popular platforms like Reddit, Facebook group, Twitter chat, LinkedIn Group, or Quora Space. These platforms are wildly popular. You can share useful information and converse with millions of people from across the world, thus creating value. Links made from these sites are extremely useful for boosting your visibility on the web.
9. Use paid advertising
Paid advertising helps generate traffic and leads by enabling businesses to appear in the top-ranking search results for specific keywords.
Some paid advertising you can use to drive people to your website:
- Google Search Advertising
- Google Maps Advertising
- Social Media Advertising
- Display Advertising
If you are struggling to drive traffic to your website, you’ll be glad to know that you’re not alone. The tactics given above can help. But, always ensure that your focus is on generating sustainable traffic. Once you start getting traffic and generating leads, your next step should be coming up with a strategy to convert the leads.
Sofia David is a digital content marketer at Contenteum where she heads and executes the content creation strategies. Contenteum is a wholistic platform that helps SEO agencies and content teams in planning, researching, creating, optimizing, and publishing content to help with rankings. Sofia believes that good content is what offers true value to the reader and that is why she creates content with a reader-first mindset. When she’s not working on new content, she finds pleasure in gardening and loves to play Scrabble every chance she gets.