Moving isn’t as tricky as it seems to be – especially if you are well prepared. Tackling your move in a systematic fashion can help you achieve maximum efficiency and move easily. This is true even for long distances. In fact, the more expensive and complex a move is, the more you need to be prepared beforehand.
Moving in the UAE has become quite easy compared to a few years ago. There are a lot of good movers and packers in Dubai, for example, that offer decent rates. The quality of service has also improved. However, many people still prefer to move on their own, especially if the number of belongings is less.
Here are a few things that you absolutely need to do before your next big move. Chalk it up on your board and make sure that you stick to them as the move gets nearer.
The Ultimate To-do List for Moving
Preparing for the move
As soon as you decide that you have to move, ensure that the following are enlisted in your to-dos:
- Make an inventory of everything that you have to move. Categorise them according to their weight or the rooms they go into. An inventory is a small checklist on its own and helps you pack and load things efficiently.
- Donate or discard unwanted items. This includes everything that you feel won’t be useful at your new place.
- Organise a garage sale for these items or sell them online. This will allow you to make a few bucks along the way – a very useful thing when you are moving. Another option is to simply donate some of your stuff to people in need. You can also give away heavy items like a used couch to a friend or a neighbour. This will save you the cost of moving them and you can buy a new one if you can afford it.
- Research online and find out the cost of moving boxes and other moving supplies. Look into how and where you can buy them and if anyone is selling used boxes that can come in handy.
- Buy the supplies beforehand – ideally 2-3 weeks before you have to move. This gives you plenty of time to pack and arrange everything so that the loading and moving becomes easier.
- If you are moving with movers and packers, start looking for one as soon as possible. Find out their availability, their quality of services, pricing, etc.
- There are some things that cannot be moved such as lighter fluids and aerosol cans. Look into this as well.
- Many moving companies also arrange temporary storage facilities if you need them during the moving process. Talk to your moving company about these units in advance.
Before the move
A few days before the move, ensure that you:
- Start your packing by putting together things that you don’t need as often. Things like books and seasonal clothes can go into this category. Pack them and put them aside.
- You can also begin cleaning some things like curtains. If you want to get your carpets cleaned, now is the right time to send them to a cleaner’s.
- Inform the concerned authorities about the address change. Also, submit the required documents at the post office.
- Inform your family and friends that you are moving.
- Give your work a heads up about the move.
- Book a cleaning company if you are moving from a rented place. Many house owners want the house in clean condition so that the realtors can take over.
A day or two before the move
When the time to move is almost there, your to-do list should look something like this:
- Make sure that you have packed everything. Go room by room and pack everything in the appropriate moving boxes. If you are moving with professionals, ensure that they pack everything safely and properly.
- Label the boxes and tape them securely.
- Clean out your refrigerator and your closet. Put everything in moving boxes and discard the things that have a short shelf life. Defrost the refrigerator after you empty it.
- Unplug appliances like microwaves and drain pipes and hoses.
- Keep the manuals for all your appliances safely so that you can put everything back to work at your new place easily.
- Put your jewellery, cash, and other expensive items separately and pack them safely. Take them along with you in your car when you are moving instead of the moving van.
On moving day
On the day of the move, make sure that you are well rested. Start by:
- Prioritising and preparing the order in which the moving boxes will be loaded.
- Double check each room – look for pictures on the walls and loose items like baskets and shoes.
- Remove all covering from furniture. Empty the appliances.
- Prepare an ‘essentials bag’ for your first night at the new house. This should contain water bottles, phone and laptop chargers, toilet paper, etc.
- Make sure that all the lights are switched off and all windows and doors are locked.
After the move
After you are done with the move and are comfortably settled in, you can conclude the move with:
- Putting away all the moving boxes in a cool and dry place.
- Ensure that your address is changed on all legal and government documents.
- Invite your family and friends for a housewarming party and treat them to some good food. Celebrate your move by dropping a nice review for the moving company.
Kinza Siddiq has been a professional movers and packers for more than 5 years. She is an expert in logistics and transportation. Kinza has been living in Dubai for the past 10 years. She is passionate about travel and effortlessly blends her experiences with writing. She loves adventure, travel, and writing. When she’s not working, she spends her spare time with her pets and writing blogs.