Dental methods and products are constantly improving to meet the needs of patients. Creating a solution for every case, dentistry is now a have-it-all field.
Aesthetics is no exception. That’s why most dentists now are “smile-makers”. All you have to do is to search well and consult your dentist for the suitable treatment to enjoy the smile of Hollywood stars.
Causes of Yellow Teeth
- In some cases, you will have yellow teeth because of your genetic map. It is there in the genetic heritage of the person. This determines the color of the teeth and how it changes over time, as well as the thickness and transparency of the enamel.
- In other cases, the yellowish tint of the teeth is due to poor eating and hygiene habits (excess of tea, coffee, tobacco, heavy consumption of citrus fruits that attack tooth enamel, tooth brushing infrequent or unsuitable…).
- Other people will have yellow teeth from certain illnesses, or from taking certain treatments such as tetracycline in childhood.
What Is Teeth Whitening?
This simple cosmetic dentistry process is to lighten the discoloration of enamel and dentin through the use of a gel-based on hydrogen peroxide.
This treatment is for extremely yellowed teeth. The important thing is to preserve the natural shade of the tooth as much as possible so that it matches the entire face.
Whether in the office or at home, you can’t have any whitening treatment without first having carried out a thorough oral examination by a dental surgeon.
the examination is to verify the absence of contraindications (untreated cavities, devitalized teeth, weakness enamel, gum irritation, etc.) as well as effective scaling.
Two Types of Teeth Whitening
Chairside Bleaching (At the Dentist)
This painless process is done entirely at the dentist in one or two sessions.
From an impression of dental arches, the dentist makes a custom-made flexible plastic splint which then accommodates the highly concentrated whitening gel. The time can vary from 20 to 90 minutes depending on the initial state of the tooth.
In some cases, the dentist may use a laser to activate the brightening process.
Ambulatory Bleaching (At Home)
It is first implemented in the office with the making of these same gutters and continued at home using a lower dose hydrogen peroxide gel.
The preferable is to wear them during the day for 15 minutes to one hour/day, depending on the dentist’s prescription.
In extreme cases, the dentist performs a session at the clinic, then lets you continue the process at home. to perform a chairside bleaching session followed by conventional outpatient treatment.
Tooth Whitening Pros and Cons
- Teeth whitening only takes about an hour.
- The treatment is much less invasive than having dental veneers.
- The cost of a teeth whitening treatment can run up to a few hundred dollars. It costs more than home treatments but is much cheaper than dental veneers.
- Teeth whitening treatments use a powerful agent to lighten teeth. There are precautions to protect your gum during the whitening process, still, there are few who experience gum irritation or tooth sensitivity.
- It tends to be effective for people with yellow-toned teeth, but less effective for people with brown or gray tones.
- The treatment only works on natural teeth, not crowns and fillings.
How long till I see the results?
In principle, the results appear after 15 days and are visible on average 4 years, depending on the patient’s lifestyle (high consumption of coffee, tobacco, tea, or not). If you found yourself sensitive to this treatment, you should stop and see a dentist to avoid tooth nerves damage.
Teeth Whitening VS Veneers
Are you hesitating between dental veneers and teeth whitening because you know they are the most popular treatments in transforming your smile? Know your current situation before choosing.
A dental veneer is an aesthetic prosthetic addition allowing to reconstitute the visible part of a tooth or to improve its shade to have white teeth.
- Teeth whitening is a minimally invasive procedure that does not require strict conditions. However, this means is not suitable for everyone.
- Poor dental hygiene can prevent tooth whitening treatment. If you suffer from gum disease or tooth decay, you must first correct this situation before you can consider this treatment, as it can cause extreme pain.
- If you have deep tooth staining affecting the dentin layers, you probably cannot achieve the desired results with tooth whitening. Bleaching cannot correct all discoloration problems. In such cases, it would be advisable for you to look for other treatments like dental veneers.
- Although it gives an attractive, functional, and aesthetic smile, veneers are not the best treatment if your problem is tooth discoloration only. As they require permanent modification of your natural teeth and are much more expensive than teeth whitening.
It’s important to feel confident about your smile, nothing wrong with improving it while you can. Turn that frown upside down and smile, life is too short!
Author: Dr. Nabil Mockbil from Swedish Dental Clinic
An author of Namaste UI, published several articles focused on blogging, business, web design & development, e-commerce, finance, health, lifestyle, marketing, social media, SEO, travel.
For any types of queries, contact us on info[at]namasteui.com.