When you are entering commercial areas, such as bars, shopping malls, nightclubs, hotels, etc., you have all the right to expect your safety. In case anything wrong happens to you, and lack of safety at the place is the reason behind the injury you have accrued. You can file a negligence lawsuit against the authoritative body.
If your injury is due to security negligence of the business authority, they are bound to pay you the claim you deserve. But, you have to ensure that you are going as per the laws and regulations.
Florida negligent security lawyers are always there for you to assist you in filing a negligent security lawsuit. Still, it is always better to have an idea so that you can follow the process smoothly. Let’s start with getting clear information about negligent security.
What Does Negligent Security Mean?
There are a lot of things that come under the term “Negligent security.”
- Open access to a building.
- Unlightened parking lots.
- Inadequate security equipment.
- Incompetent or untrained staff.
Often negligent security claims are the results of businesses failing to prioritize security. On the other hand, proper security measures involve the following things.
- Well-trained security personnel.
- Secure locks.
- Security guards.
- Self-locking doors.
- Proper lighting on the outside and inside any building.
- Knowing about common criminal activities in that particular area.
A business owner should always know about potential security threats. For example, neighborhood crime level. Only then will they be able to offer a secure and safe environment.
For understanding the negligent security instances, let’s consider an imaginable situation where you visit a restaurant late at night. After having your meal, you head to the parking lot in search of your car. The parking area has inadequate lighting, and you were assaulted and injured.
Due to a lack of security, the incident occurred. So, you can go ahead and file a negligent security lawsuit against the restaurant. But the question is “How?”
Guide To Filing Negligent Security Lawsuits
For your injuries, you sue the restaurant. But that is not enough. You have to show that the restaurant owes you a duty of care because the incident happened within their parking area to prove your security claims. In addition, you should show that you are injured due to the restaurant’s lack of security protocols.
Apart from proving that the restaurant is at fault for negligent security, there are several things that you need to show to the court.
- The restaurant should have known about the potential crime in their parking area.
- For reducing such risks, they should have taken proper safety measures.
- They fail to fulfill their duty of care, and thus you get your injury.
After the assault, you file a negligent security lawsuit against the restaurant. Here, you also have to prove that the incident was both preventable and foreseeable. So, in other words, you are required to show that the restaurant should be aware of the assault in their parking area.
They should know about potential crime in their neighborhood, especially if something similar has taken place before. Hence, they should have taken the necessary safety measures.
Some Common Negligent Security Types
Here are some of the most common types of negligent security incidents. Let’s go through them.
- Not conducting background checks of employees and tenants.
- Not employing a security company for patrolling the grounds.
- Not installing and maintaining locks on doors and restricted areas.
- Fail to restrict access to the building for unauthorized personnel.
- Not installing video cameras and opting for a video surveillance system.
- Common areas and parking areas, which are not well lit.
Areas Where Negligent Security Occur
For your reference, here is a list of common types of properties from where the most negligent security lawsuits come.
- Apartments and condominiums.
- Amusement parks.
- Shopping malls.
- Bars and nightclubs.
- College campuses and dorms.
Take Help From An Experienced Attorney
You see, filing a negligent security lawsuit is a complex one. There are a lot of things that you have to consider. The level of security that the business owners are bound to provide differs based on several things for different areas. So, only the best and experienced lawyer will be able to guide you properly.
An author of Namaste UI, published several articles focused on blogging, business, web design & development, e-commerce, finance, health, lifestyle, marketing, social media, SEO, travel.
For any types of queries, contact us on info[at]namasteui.com.