Security plugins are a vital part of the safety of your website or the website of your customers. We’ve gathered 8 great choices that can assist with security hardening, firewalls, and malware scanning to help you select the right WordPress security plugin for your needs.
8 Best WordPress Security Plugins:
- iThemes Security
- All In One WP Security & Firewall
- BulletProof Security
Another common tool for website protection is Sucuri. Sucuri has two parts:
1. At WordPress.org, a free plugin
2. A paid service for firewall, tracking, and hack cleanup
The free WordPress.org plugin helps you primarily with the hardening of basic protection.
It will give you different rules and tips that you can apply, such as disabling the plugin and theme editing in the dashboard and blocking the execution of PHP in some sensitive directories.
Other advantages of protection include the ability to:
Data integrity monitor for related information
Track unsuccessful login attempts
Receive updates about security warnings for different behaviour
On your site, list scripts and iframes.
Further than that, the plugin also comes with malware scanning service SucuriSiteCheck. It’s important to note, though, that this service only scans your website’s front-end for issues-it won’t search the files on your server like any other malware scans. You also wouldn’t need the plugin-you can run it from the Sucuri website to use this app.
The plugin will allow you to connect to the paid Sucuri firewall service for even more protection. This firewall is a cloud-based WAF with the Sucuri team’s frequently updated guidelines. Also, the firewall lets you:
- Whitelist or certain IP addresses blacklist
- Blocking whole countries
- With CAPTCHAs, two-factor authentication, or additional passwords, protected sensitive areas (like your WordPress dashboard / login).
You can also help secure your site from DDoS attacks with the paid Sucuri service.
Price: The plugin for Sucuri is 100 percent free. It costs $19.98 a month for the Sucuri firewall and $299.99 per year for the entire Sucuri platform (which includes malware detection and cleanup).
2. iThemes Security
A freemium security plugin from iThemes is iThemes Security, hence the name. If you’re not familiar, iThemes is a common developer, like BackupBuddy, behind a number of plugins. iThemes was purchased in 2018 by Liquid Network.
WordPress Security Hardening is the priority of iThemes Security. It allows you to connect to the front-end malware detection SucuriSiteCheck service, but you can only run this feature from the Sucuri website, so it’s not really built-in malware scanning.
It does not advertise a firewall, but it includes features that allow certain bots and IP addresses to be blocked. There is also a “network brute force security” feature that can block IP addresses that have attempted to brute force other WordPress sites automatically.
As for security hardening, with features such as: iThemes Security will help you protect your login process.
- Limit Attempts to Login
- Adjust the Login URL for WordPress
- (paid) Google reCAPTCHA
- Two-factor (paid) authentication
- Good compliance of passwords
- Expiration of Password (paid)
It also provides a “Away” mode in which during periods when you don’t access it, you can effectively lock down your website.
Other features for hardening protection include:
- Detection of File Changes
- Modify the Database Prefix
- Switch off the editing of in-dashboard files
- Logging of User Activity (paid)
- Modify the wp-content route
If you need several WordPress sites to be handled, it also has iThemes Sync integration.
Price: WordPress.org Free Edition. The paid version begins at 80 dollars.
3. All In One WP Security & Firewall
A famous WordPress security plugin that is 100 percent free is All In One WP Security & Firewall.
It allows you to enforce a lot of different hardening features for protection, such as:
- Adjust the Prefix for the WordPress Database
- Track permissions for files
- Disable in-dashboard editing of files
- Monitoring file integrity
- Hide Version Number for WordPress
To protect your login method, it also includes features such as:
- Limit Attempts to Login
- Forcing users to log out after a certain period of time
- Add reCAPTCHA for security of logins
- Certain IP addresses Whitelist
- Avoid Enumeration for Users
To help you improve the security of your site, it will also give you a “security strength metre.”
What it calls a firewall contains Everything In One WP Security & Firewall, but it is not quite as robust as anything like Wordfence or Sucuri. It is more of a static collection of guidelines, not adapting to evolving threats such as other plugins.
Price: at WordPress.org, 100 percent free.
4. BulletProof Security
Another choice providing an all-in-one solution to WordPress protection is BulletProof Security, with:
- Hardening for
- Scanning for malware
The free version includes simple hardening like:
- Security Login
- Change Table Client Prefix
- Logging on security
- Backup database
In the free version, it also requires malware scanning, while the paid version provides real-time protection with the AutoRestore Intrusion Detection and Prevention System (ARQ IDPS) of BulletProof Security.
In addition, the paid version adds other features, such as:
- Monitoring the database and differential testing
- Upload Protection
- Firewall to plugin
The user interface looks very old and is not as friendly as other resources, but when it comes to its efficacy, BulletProof Protection is well-regarded.
Price: WordPress.org Free Edition. The paid version kicks off at $69.95.
SecuPress is another well-known security plugin for WordPress which comes in both a free and a paid version.
Originally, SecuPress was launched by WP Media, the same firm behind the famous WP Rocket plugin. WP Media later released ownership to the present owner (who was one of WP Media’s co-founders), however. That’s a long way to suggest, essentially, that you’re going to see some design parallels to WP Rocket, but the two are no longer the same entity.
You can: With the free edition,
- Block addresses for IPs and bad bots
- Protect your username from attacks by brute force
- Hide the tab for login
- Conceal the versions of WordPress and WooCommerce
- XML-RPC and REST API Management
- Log essential actions of the consumer
- In the free version, you even get a firewall.
Extra features are added to the premium edition, such as:
- To secure your username, two-factor authentication
- Features Antispam
- Backup for archives and databases
- Detection for themes or plugins with established vulnerabilities in security
- Scan of PHP malware
- Blocking of the nation (geolocation)
- Scheduling Activities
With SecuPress, one standout feature is the gui. It has the most friendly interface of any tool on this list, which is particularly good if it is ever used by your customers. Again, you can certainly see in the gui the effect of WP Rocket.
Price: WordPress.org Free Edition. The paid version begins at $65. In addition, let Sinelogix carry the responsibility if you want Website developer in India to work on your dream of wordpress website. We have an expert wordpress developer in India with years of experience in the wordpress development.
An author of Namaste UI, published several articles focused on blogging, business, web design & development, e-commerce, finance, health, lifestyle, marketing, social media, SEO, travel.
For any types of queries, you can contact us on email@example.com.